Saturday, February 9, 2008

Latest read - "People of the Book"

(an illumination from the Sarajevo Haggadah)

My daughter-in-law, Susan, is a confirmed bibliophile like myself. She is also an English major and has a blog of book reviews which she writes after reading a book. (I have added a link to my side bar.) I do not have her skills, but would still like to share a good read. I just finished "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks. It was the perfect read for a bibliophile, a book about an ancient book.

If any of you have seen the movie, "The Red Violin," the same devices are used in this book. The main character, a conservator of old books, attempts to decipher the history of the Sarajevo Haggadah, a medieval Hebrew book now on display in a museum in Sarajevo. The author moves forward and back in time as the stories of the people of "the book" are revealed to the reader. This book has been compared to "The DaVinci Code." It is not as fast paced or physically squeamish as Da Vinci, but stills holds one's interest and attention until the very end. I liked it better!

4 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad you liked this one. I've heard a lot of really good reviews of it. If you own it, I'd love to borrow it!

Vagabond Mother said...

We used to make fun of a picture of Geraldine Brooks in 7th grade English class. I'm glad she's a good writer too.

Susan said...

Okay, I just finished this book. It's a great read. My review is up on my book blog.

I'm taking it back to the library today, so you shouldn't get any late fees. If you do, let me know - I'll give you the 20 cents!

Laurel said...

Hey, Susan, don't stress. I usually get on the computer every Tuesday and renew whatever I have out. I'm glad that you like the book.