Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Be Still" Thoughts

Today I dressed in my Sunday best and went to the Stake Center to attend the funeral of Gordon B. Hinckley. On Friday in a telephone conversation with a good friend, she stated that she had to get something done that I had requested by that evening because she had a funeral to go to on Saturday morning. She wanted to dress and go to the funeral of her prophet, just like she would for a loved one. With that kernal of a thought on my mind it suddenly came to me, if the young people of the church could choose to honor their dear prophet by dressing in their Sunday best for school, then surely I could honor him by attending his funeral in my Sunday best. It was a good choice. It was reverent and peaceful and so touching. Not many were in attendance at the chapel, but they were quiet and respectful. They stood as his coffin came into the conference center followed by his family and they stood again as he left. I didn't think of this as a sad occasion, but my heart broke when the empty chair between Elder Monson and Elder Eyring appeared on the big screen. I realized then that he would not be at General Conference ever again. He had really left this mortal life.

The "B's" sampler hangs in my living room. It has always been one of the more simple, but most profound sermons of President Hinckley; a clear and easy blueprint for our walk through this life. A blueprint for a walk which he modeled for us everyday of his life. Thank you, President Hinckley.

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

I was at that fireside in the Conference Center about eight years ago when he delivered the "Be's." It was very inspiring and simple. He also gave a prayer for us in that same meeting and it was very powerful.

You know, Andrew was taking a test and I was asleep with boys (after getting up at 5:45 am with Henry for the day) during the funeral. Thank goodness for tivo, right? Well, the boys slept just long enough to watch it without interruption when Andrew got home. It was beautiful.

Lindsay and Mica were wedding dress shopping in SLC and had to stop for the funeral procession to go by. All the Apostles had their windows down, smiling to the people as they drove by.

In the mean time, we made it to our nine o'clock meeting today- such a difference for Raymond! He was so good. He bawled in nursery when I dropped him off and was crying when I came back, but they assured me he was a good boy "most" of the time. I think life is stabilizing a tiny bit after the year long fiasco of Henry and his side effects.

Besides the van getting stuck in snow/ice in the parking lot for 45 minutes after church and almost sliding off the road on the way home, it was good to be at church for 3 hours. This is the worst winter I've ever been through. It snows everyday. I've slid countless times on the ice (in cars and on my bum). Bleh.

Provo Canyon is closed because of snow right now and a lot of wards were canceled towards the point of the mountain.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a special experience yesterday. Thanks for sharing. I love you mom!