Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Blooms and Butterflies


 The arrival of Spring makes me want to sew something spring like.  Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet announced a "#bloom where you are planted" sew along on Instagram and I was all in.  She adapted a flower block from her book, "Quilty Fun" for this sew along.  My quilt top is entirely scrappy using only fabrics that I had on hand.  I had part of a layer cake (10 inch squares) of Floral Gatherings by Primitive Gathering that I had for another project.  I was able to cut all the pieces needed for each flower background from a 10 inch square of fabric.  Just make sure to cut the larger pieces first from 1 1/2 inch by 10 inch strips before cutting the one inch pieces and 1 1/2 inch squares.  I did buy some of the green and cream Floral Gathering fabric seen on the right for the backing and the binding plus a piece of batting.  Other than that, everything was from my fabric stash.


"Quilty Fun" also has the directions for adorable butterfly blocks.  I couldn't resist adding a scrappy butterfly border using the leftover fabrics from the flowers and flower centers.  The quilt adds just the right amount of Spring into the room.


I also love how the little quilt compliments Mr. and Mrs. Bunny which I painted during my tole painting years.  Um, yeah, that would be 28 years ago.  I still love those bunnies.  They are my favorites!  Blooms and Butterflies is also one of my favorite quilts.

No comments: