Friday, July 2, 2010

July is HOTTER than a firecracker!


Both July days so far have been scorchers! The way you can tell that it has gotten really hot in Arizona is that suddenly car batteries begin to fail and grandchildren and their mother become stranded at swimming lessons. After being rescued by Uncle Eric, the car must be taken in the next morning for a new battery. This means that I miss out on my morning swim. I wait for the afternoon shade to hit before my lap swim. Afternoon swimming is much different than morning swimming because:

- I burn my feet walking across the "cool deck"

- I burn my hand on the pool stair rail

- I feel confused as I enter the very warm water floating on top of the cool water

- After I act as the pool water mix master, the water temperature is 8 degrees warmer than morning pool water

- As I swim, I watch the birds lining up to sit in the bubbling bird bath as they are terrorized by dive bombing humming birds

- I stay in an extra 15 minutes just floating and enjoying the "hot tub"

You will also know that we have reached a new level of "hot" because the sweet potato vines are growing several inches a day. They love the heat. No need to replant these vines. Just cut them back when they become sickly from the cold. Months later when it hits 100 degrees, out they come again in an effort to cover the world!

The plumbago bush also loves the heat. That is why it is covered with beautiful blue blooms in July. When it is too hot to be outside, I stay inside and sew. We will celebrate the Fourth of July by attending Oscar's blessing and naming on Sunday. This is the romper that I made for him to wear.

The smocking on the front is a bit different than any I have done before. The stitching in the middle is composed of Van Dyke and honeycomb stitches. It makes the smocking very stretchy.

I found the pattern in issue number 88 of Australian Smocking and Embroidery.

It is made from lightweight cotton Swiss pique and is trimmed with blue and white striped piping. It is a perfect summer blessing romper.

2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

Glad I was stranded somewhere as simple and close as swim lessons- plus being wet made it not to hot at all. I love Oscar's blessing outfit, you did such a nice job. He's going to look dashing!

Nichelle said...

I love his outfit! It is so precious! I can't wait to see the handsome little guy in it.