Saturday, May 15, 2010

What a difference altitude (not attitude) makes


Glen and I ventured forth to Utah once again last week. Yes, that's three times in three months. I see a habit developing! A low front was moving in so there was lots of wind as we drove north. Once in Flagstaff, we were glad to not be traveling Interstate 40 because it had been shut down due to the wind.


As we headed to Jacob's Lake from the Vermilion Cliffs we could tell there was snow up ahead. Wow, a snowstorm in May!


The sign said that the road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was to open on May 15. I wonder if it happened. As you will soon see, we traveled home a different way.

What a difference a little altitude makes! It continued to snow or rain off and on again all the way to Provo. Higher altitudes usually make my ankles swell up like an unopened bag of chips, but I tried something new this trip. Lynette had sent me some compression socks for my birthday so I wore them ALL day (and this trip takes a full day.) It helped!

The next morning, Glen dropped me off at the BYU campus on his way to Salt Lake City. I wandered from the BYU Bookstore (most comprehensive children's' lit section around) and up and down the Harold B. Lee Library floors until I felt hungry. I remembered the Art Museum Cafe and meandered that way. That is where I discovered what you can do with old farm crop sprinklers and pipe.

Everyone and everything can indeed enjoy a second life or maybe even several lives.

It kind of made me dizzy.

As you can see, not a sprinkler part was left out.

The cafe was pretty quiet with only three tables in use. It helps me understand why the help gets a little cranky during BYU Education Week. They are used to almost no one during Spring and Summer terms.

I managed to figure out which bus to take to get back to the townhouse after heading back to the bookstore to make my purchases. I didn't want to lug books all over campus. Like in my student days, I was in need of a nap once I made my way home. Or should I say, I laid down and read one of my new books before Glen returned.

The next morning, we worked on the basement replacing light bulbs and cleaning up. I managed to get the stove looking almost like new. I also got air beds, bedding, towels, and some dishes moved from the up upstairs to the basement for summer guests. It was a working trip for both of us.

That afternoon, I went with Glen to SLC and he dropped me off at Borders to spend my Mother's Day gift card while he went on an appointment. (Thank you "E" Jensens!) One can never have too many books!

Friday morning we headed home. It was a beautiful drive with wonderful cloud formations. We have decided that we need to make a list of short hikes or walks we can take to break up our drive. This time we stopped south of Page and walked out to see Horseshoe Bend south of the dam on the Colorado River. Who knew that one could view this just 1/2 mile from Highway 89?

I took the pictures because this man found himself standing on shaky legs! This is as close to the edge as he got. I didn't know that he had a fear of heights, but it got him this time. I had to take the last few steps by myself to get the great shot of the river.

But he was color coordinated with the sky!

There were a few plants in bloom.

And a thunderstorm rolling in from off the Paria Plateau. I wanted to get a shot of the lightening, but I'm not talented enough.

Walking up hill in sand is hard work. I finally figured out that if I walked behind Glen in his exact same footprints, it was much better going. I think that there is a parable in that somewhere.

Of course, it also meant that he beat me back to the car. Most of those vehicles were driven there by people speaking a language other than English. Good for them making this walk a part of their once in a lifetime trip! The mile walk up and down the sand hill was definitely worth it. I can't even begin to count the number of times we have driven right on by.

We arrived home. . .


to Asiatic lilies finally in bloom. . .


and ripe tomatoes! BLTs anyone?!?!

(Thanks to Nate and Nichelle for keeping the water flowing at home!)

2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

Oh, I'd love to walk out to that point on our next drive, but it makes me nervous with my crazy boys. I wish they were afraid of heights too.

I am so glad you are enjoying Utah more lately.

larainydays said...

I love your pics, and I love your tomatoes. Yours are so much further along than mine. sigh