Thursday, December 3, 2009

Grinchy Grandma


No, we haven't been swimming. It is finally winter in Arizona, after all. The boys were helping their father wash down the back patio and of course, it got a bit out of hand. They needed a bit of warming up.

December is here and the Christmas decorations are partially up outside, but inside it's pretty bare. I love decorating for Christmas. So why am I being a grinchy grandma? I think it has something to do with the two handsome live-in grandsons pictured above. It's given me pause as I contemplate the ceramic Christmas village created by Glen's mother and her friend over 30 years ago or the tree covered with Hummel figurine ornaments in honor of my own dear mother. Do I dare expose them to a determined (and charming) two year old? Apparently not for a box has yet to be moved from the closet. Maybe this weekend?

But I have not been totally without Christmas spirit. These are the ornaments I stitched together after Thanksgiving. Lynette and I found the pattern and wool felt in Utah last summer then cut out all the pieces during my visit to Kansas. They were a delight to stitch together. Lynette will be so proud of me for finishing them, AND by December 1st no less!

Today my family met at the Mesa Arizona Temple for family pictures. It was a sunny but crisp December day. It felt so good to be there with everyone. As the sun went down, the Christmas lights came on. Perfect! Glen and I decided to stay for the concert by the Arizona Institute Choir and an English hand bell group. How could any grinchy grandma stay grinchy listening to beautiful Christmas music?

2 comments:

larainydays said...

I LOVE the ornaments. That is just the sort of project I would enjoy working on. You are anything but a grinchy Grandma. I bet even Jesus' mother put up the breakables.

Lynette Bunker said...

I am proud of you, and me too, mine are finished as well--all except for just the right hanger. It was fun to see how we used some of the very same final, individual touches to finsh them off. It was alot of fun!!