Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More Forth Bridge

I found another picture of the Forth Bridge (see previous post) taken during its construction. It sobered me to think this may be the way it appeared on June 2, 1887 - the day of George Hendry's death.

This certificate was issued at the completion of the Forth Bridge in 1890. It was just two years after Margaret McGregor Hendry immigrated to the United States and then Utah with her five fatherless children.

I found this image on the Queensbury Historical Society's web site and it did not state a year. The Forth Bridge was primarily a railroad bridge, hence the ferry in this picture. A second bridge for automobile traffic has since been constructed near this bridge.

2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

Thanks for the images, pretty interesting. It's so nice to have visuals.

B.B. Thorley said...

Yeah, my Dad had me read your blog just before going. It's pretty impressive considering when it was built and my boss was impressed that I had roots to it. Always good to win points with the boss. Hope all is well in AZ.