Monday, April 28, 2008

Andrew's Commencement Day

As many of you know, and as we learned at Eric's BYU Commencement eight years ago, if you want a decent seat in the Marriott Center you have to go early. I volunteered for seat saving duty as long as I was dropped off at the MOA first. I very much wanted to view the Minerva Teichert exhibit while in town. The Marriott Center opened at 2 pm for commencement at 4 pm. As I walked to the exit of the MOA at 1:50 I was amazed to see snowflakes falling. This was a first, snow falling for April graduation. It was a memorable walk to the ramp and over to the Marriott. I did get the row of seats I wanted, Portal G just above the wheelchair seating. More room for legs.

The processional started at 3:30 pm. The organ music began and Raymond said, "Church hongs?" He then proceeded to direct the organ for the next half hour. Henry just wanted to eat.

Andrew's mom and husband flew in from Florida that day to celebrate with Andrew.

I know, I know, not such a great picture but Andrew is seated down below us in that sea of black and Elder Bednar was speaking. He talked of the importance of continuing to learn and to always include spiritual learning.

After the ceremony, we went out to the southeast lawn for pictures. Notice that now the sun is shining. The grass was wet from melted snow. That little tree on the left by the girl's elbow is usually in bloom this time of year and our preferred background. The trees in front of the condo are usually in bloom in April as well, but not this April. I had purchased tickets for everyone to go to the Hinckley Building for a dinner and dance and fireworks. The fireworks were canceled due to weather and the band and tables and chairs had been moved indoors as well. It made for less than ideal conditions but we enjoyed one another's company and we enjoyed seeing inside the Hinckley Building for the first time.

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

Thanks for getting such great seats- I know I appreciated because it kept Raymond very sane and entertained.