Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Christmas Quilts


This was the year when I decided that I would make a Christmas snuggle quilt for the family of each of my five children.


It began last January as I began to purchase 2014 Christmas fabric at discount prices.  I loved this quilt in Quiltmania magazine and knew it would appeal to my oldest son's wife and the style of her house.  It required many, many tiny flying geese.


The middle section was a panel which included these name tags which I sewed into the back.  The fabric line was Pine Fresh by Sandy Gervais.


I saw this quilt on display in my local quilt shop, American Quilting.  I loved the cheeriness and color palette and felt like it would please my youngest son's wife and her style.  I purchased a kit for the quilt which included the fabric line, Merry Stitches.  It included panel pieces as well, but the flying geese blocks were very big.


I especially loved the Santa panel.


The art work is light and breezy.


I loved sewing it together while the snow piled up outside.


I put minky on the back as this quilt would be for a Utah family.


It went to this sweet little boy's house.


Light, bright, and fun!  And that quilt kit provided many leftovers in extra fabric so . . .


I made another for my second son and his wife.  There were extra panels and lots of large fabric pieces.


I purchased the same minky for the back and I will be sewing the binding down after writing this post.  I am trying to post it before the end of 2015 and hope to deliver it this weekend.


I made pinwheel blocks from the triangles I cut off from the first quilts flying geese blocks and used them on the corners of each panel section.  The quilt is some what the same, but different.


Solstice by Kate Spain was used for my middle son's family.  I knew that my DIL would like its more modern vibe.  I finished this quilt top last Spring, but didn't machine quilt it until November.


It is a sampler quilt with two of each different block and one of the center block.


I also used a Solstice print for the backing.  This will be an Arizona quilt so I didn't use minky.


This Santa quilt was also in Quiltmania magazine a couple of years ago.  I loved it and it was so fun to make it for my daughter and her family.  I like it so much that I am going to make one for myself.


The gray background was Robert Kaufman's line of Quilter's Linen and the reds and browns are from various fat quarters that I picked up here and there.


I ended up using a darker grey of the Quilter's Linen for the stop border.  The red border is from the Solstice line.  I originally thought I would use it for the back of the Solstice quilt but it was just too much red.  It worked perfectly for this quilt.


 I appliqued on the beards and reindeer ears, then embroidered faces and antlers.  I sewed the ric rac on before machine quilting.  A grey minky with small stars is on the back of this quilt.


I delivered the quilts to each family along with a copy of the book, "How to Catch a Santa" and a Santa tree ornament.


I managed to deliver the first four before Christmas and now I'm off to bring in the New Year while I bind away!

1 comment:

LaNell said...

They are each so different and thoughtfully chosen for each family. I especially like the Santa/reindeer quilt. It's simple and bold. What a fun way for you to enjoy Christmas all year long as you loving labored on these quilts.