Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Roasting weather and green things

It's official. We are at 100 degrees and will most likely have at least another 100 days of 100+ degree weather before the end of 2009.

I picked these Anaheim chilies in the garden this morning. I'm going to try roasting them in the oven. I googled roasting green chili and found this link helpful. I really want a green chili quesadilla or relleno.

I did't want fried green tomatoes. Ruby's bushy, strong stalked tomato plant was brought down by this abundance of tomatoes. Upon picking up the broken branch, it was obvious that even a strong branched tomato plant was no match for a baker's dozen of these. Perhaps they will ripen inside to match this lovely stand made by Sally.

In this heat, I'm not sure how much longer the Swiss chard will last. The first crop (planted last October) has already bolted. This second crop of "Rainbow Lights" chard pictured above (planted in February) has been lovely to look at as well as eat. I chop the stems into bite size piece then add them to a hot pan of olive oil with sauteed diced garlic and crushed red pepper. Once the stems are softened, I add the leaves which I have stacked in groups of 5 or 6 and then rolled up like a tortilla which is sliced crosswise in strips. Cover the pan and cook until the leaves are softened. Glen likes chard prepared this way much better than spinach. Most classify Swiss chard as one of the wonder foods for nutrients.

I planted out my basil seedlings to take the place of the bolted spinach and Swiss chard. Basil loves the heat which means lots of green pesto this summer!

I have a dozen basil seedlings left in the greenhouse.
First come, first served.

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

I hope your tomatoes ripen okay, that is quite the branch. Ruby knows how to pick them!

It's going to be a nice, hot summer!!

But really, I was afraid it was going to get crazy hot a month ago, so I'm okay that it's hot now, it is May, afterall.