Thursday, March 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Janae!

Henry and Raymond sang the "Happy Birthday" song to their mother today after lunch at Sweet Cakes. It was before the sugar cookies with colorful sprinkles that we substituted for cake. The cookies made us all happy. Henry was already happy, he smiled at all the passersby through the window.

Rebecca Janae was born on the 70th birthday of the Girl Scouts who were formally organized on March 12, 1912. A Girl Scout Troop visited our home days after her birth to award Janae an honorary membership into Girl Scouts and a baby quilt which they had made in honor of both birthdays.

Years later we came across the birthplace of Juliette Low, who founded the Girl Scouts, while wandering the lovely streets of Savannah, Georgia. I demanded photos even though Janae had never taken advantage of the free membership. (Sorry to have caught you with your eyes closed.)

Juliette's home was lovely, as is she in this portrait, and it was purchased and restored by the Girl Scout organization in 1953.

Hopefully Janae has most of her babyhood pictures in the photo albums now in her possession. I found this one where I am holding her in front of our Midway home shortly after we moved from Bountiful. The upstairs window that you see was her bedroom window. I spent many moments sitting in my rocker in front of the window rocking my little girl and enjoying the beauty that is Midway.

We were soon in Arizona instead. Janae and David had accompanied me north for the 80th birthday of my Grandfather George in Idaho. We stopped first to visit and collect Grandma Velva. I love this picture of my mom with her grandkids. Janae had just turned "2" as Grandpa's birthday was on March 20th.

I have always been so grateful for "my only girl." There are many pictures like this one, stair step pictures with Janae as #4. I don't know how that felt for her, the only girl in a family of boys. I was the oldest of a family of girls with just one brother. I do know that she has brought joy to my life and that her spunky personality has kept me entertained over the years. Still does, check out her blog!

Happy Birthday Janae!

2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

I love that picture at the mill. Thank you for going back and scanning all of these cool pictures. I can't believe it was so long ago that we took that trip to Georgia. Little did I know, my husband was growing up to the south.

We really enjoyed lunch and I even managed to get them both to sleep this afternoon. It was a fun outing. I love that picture from lunch of them. They are such funny boys.

Laurel said...

Um, Janae. I just thought of something. In 2012, just 3 years away, the Girl Scouts will be ONE HUNDRED! What will that make you?
Sorry!