Monday, January 21, 2008

Three "G's" - Grandkids, Greenhouse & Garden

On three day weekends, we sometimes sponsor a "Grandkids Sleepover." TJ, Heather, and Toby joined us last night. Ruby had her other cousin in town to play with, so didn't make it this time. We visited the garden, explored the green house, planted some peas in a pot (each child has their own pot), sang around the fire in the outside fireplace, popped some corn in my Cuisinart popper with the see through top (Toby was amazed to see the process, something not visible in a bag in the microwave), and watched "Veggietales" until we were sleepy. All in all, a very fun evening. They were great kids and made it fun for us.
This is the greenhouse Glen surprised me with for Christmas. Sweet Andrew and the missionaries worked on it mornings (Andrew most the day) for three days before and after Christmas Day. It's eight and a half by eight and a half feet and as you can see, Glen has added water and electricity to the corner. He has also put pipes in from which we can hang things and shelving with a grow light so we can try starting our own seedlings. We moved in the tomatoes, peppers, and basil plus a few ornamentals which don't like the cold. Yes, fresh home-grown veggies in January is a marvelous thing. With a small swamp cooler and shade cloth, we are also hoping to extend our Spring garden when the heat starts up. Arizona is great for two growing seasons, but both are on the short side.
This is the old pool fence transformed into a growing platform for my container gardening. These are my cool weather veggies. They include lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, sugar snap peas, parsley and cilantro, spinach, and cabbage. They thrive during our Arizona winter. When I retired from teaching I pictured myself reading and quilting. It has turned into more gardening and reading. I love being outside with the birds and my plants.

3 comments:

Cire said...

Thanks for taking them - Toby was saying "Fun at Gwamma Gwampa's house" all evening today!

Vagabond Mother said...

I think Andrew would call it the "Not so easy greenhouse." I wish I could have sent Ray and Henry your way! Yawn... Henry needs to sleep through the night, I think.

Vagabond Mother said...

Also, everything looks so green and pretty right now! Good job!