Thursday, November 22, 2007

Lynette wins the Great Race















Bottom - I hold Henry Glen for first time

Top - Lynette gets acquainted with Henry Glen



My sister, Lynette, and I both met my new grandson, Henry Glen Ranes, before he was 12 hours old. We had made plans a couple of months ago to meet in Provo on Saturday, November 17. New baby Ranes was due on the 18th. I figured that I would beat the Thanksgiving air traffic and if he came early, I could reschedule my flight. Lynette decided that if there was no baby to play with, we could still play in lovely Utah and then she would ride to Bunkerville with her three BYU students where they would meet the rest of the family for Thanksgiving. Henry's timing was near perfect! He was born at 1:57 am on Saturday morning. I caught my flight out of Phoenix and Lynette her flight out of Denver where we hooked up by 11 am. Her son, Gary, picked us up and drove us back to Provo.

The last leg of the great race began when Gary dropped me off at the condo in Provo so that I might pick up the 2nd car. Gary and Lynette took off across Provo for the hospital where he was to drop her off. I caught every light red (no kidding - are any lights coordinated in Provo?) and then hunted for a parking lot with an open space and managed my way from the north lot to the fourth floor. When I arrived at the room housing Janae, Andrew, and baby Henry, Lynette had already begun her surrogate grand parenting and had Henry in her arms. I didn't really mind as it was so good to have her help with Raymond care and food detail as well as the two nights of nighttime duty so the parents could recover from their attempt to get some sleep hospital style.

Raymond's name for Lynette is pretty appropriate as those of you who know Lynette well will realize. He has is own take on a large number of words. His take on Lynette is "Neat." It was "Hello, Neat" and "Where Neat go?" and "Bye bye, Neat." Pretty neat, eh?

4 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

I'm glad you got here when you did! To be honest, I was so tired at the hospital, I didn't even notice who should up when- so I'm sure it is the same with Henry. We love our mom/gramma very much!

Cire said...

Lynette started the race much closer to Provo (in Denver), so I think you really won.

Sally Jensen Interiors said...

I can't wait to meet Henry. I agree...you really won since your journey was so much further.

Becky said...

"Many hands (and an arm) make light the work" and so it appears in Provo. I will look forward to meeting Henry and seeing the rest of the Ranes family in December. Janae appears to have enjoyed the visit and appreciated the help I am sure.