Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The stockings were hung. . .

and now they are filled. Please make sure to check your five toed stocking sometime Christmas Day. You may find a surprise, but not much candy!

Your father's stocking is the oldest one. It was made for him by his mother before I was in the picture. Glen came to Arizona to meet my family after Christmas in 1974 and to go with me to a bowl game at ASU stadium in which BYU was playing. He can tell you much more about that game, like who the quarterback was and probably give a play by play account. We then traveled to California so that I could meet his family. He can tell you much more about that drive because I cried until I fell asleep. I realized that I would never be with or be a part of my family in the same way again. I was leaving home with this man who would soon be my husband and I was suddenly very homesick.

Upon my arrival in California, I was given a bear hug by Glen's father, Jordan. I soon learned that this was very much out of character, and I have been grateful for that hug ever since. Glen's mother, Elma, handed me a red felt stocking with five toes and told me I needed to decorate it. Five toes! It was so much her sense of humor and fun. So I decorated it and became a Jensen. When Eric and Ryan were born, she would bring or mail me another plain stocking. The felt for the stockings changed for David, Janae, and Nathan - so I think I must have started to make the stockings myself. BUT I always decorated them. I don't decorate them anymore (unless Eric talks me into finishing it up!) but I am willing to sew together a red felt stocking for any new family member who wants a Christmas stocking with five toes! Daughter-in-laws, rest assured that I am not offended when you choose to leave them hanging on my fireplace. They would not have necessarily been my first choice, but now I love them. They are full of memories and warm thoughts.

1 comment:

Cire said...

I'm glad Grandpa J gave you that big hug, too! Thanks for helping with the stockings - at least we're all done :)