Monday, December 3, 2007

Williams Sonoma can be sneaky


Gingerbread houses have been a somewhat sporadic and longstanding Christmas tradition in our family. I had decided that the grandchildren were getting old enough to enjoy this activity, so just imagine my delight when I opened my holiday edition of the Williams and Sonoma catalog and found cookie cutters for all the pieces to make a snap together gingerbread house. Notice in the catalog picture the interlocking sides and a roof that simply slides into place. Not soo - after all, cookie dough has a mind and spreadability quotient of its own! I even used the enclosed recipe, making sure to chill the dough overnight which ordinarily I would not do. I tried to keep the edges parallel and even did a bit of cutting as the pieces came out of the oven. I baked pieces for three houses before going to church. After church, I began the process of putting it all together - or at least tried to snap it all together. The notches didn't match, the roof pieces snapped off (at least it left a ledge for the roof to rest on:) and I thought it was probably a good idea that I had also bought graham crackers. Finally, I decided that royal icing (aka mortar) could work if used in great quantities, and thus they finally stood!

TJ was his usual sweet self and decorated cookies so that each family could take home a house.

Heather enjoys a colorful, good time. The gingerbread men in the foreground also had their own little stands.

Sweet Ruby and Sally created a pathway to the front door (don't you just love Princess Ruby's crown?) The trees also slide together for a 3-D effect.

Heather and her mom, Susan worked together, too. Susan's job was sprinkle control.

Emilia had fun trying out another American tradition. Ryan's elbow rests on a photo album I pulled out after he remembered the big gingerbread house I made when he was in kindergarten. He spoke of his disappointment of being made to wait until after Christmas to eat it and how hard it had become. Although each child had a small house of their own to decorate, he had still coveted the big one with the balcony and stained glass windows! There were also pictures in the album of houses made when Glen and I were engaged 32 years ago. We had a great time, made a big mess, and will probably do it again! I hope the Raymond's parents get a chance to put together the gingerbread house kit I bought for them at Costco.

4 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

I'm glad the cookie cutters made it through your flight home! Too bad they didn't come together easy. Looks like everyone had a good time. I remember the ward Christmas party where you made us REAL ginger bread houses and everyone else had graham cracker ones.

We'll put ours together one of these nights. Everyone is too cranky in the evenings, so maybe Saturday morning would be better.

Susan said...

It was lots of fun. Thanks for putting it all together, Laurel. The kids had a great time.

j said...

Laurel you are always fantastic doing so many things to entertainment your grandkids ...and me!! I loved to decorate my ginger bread house. Oh, and thank you for give me the opportunity to have my own and thanks Tj for prefering decorate the pine trees and the ginger bread boys ( he wanted to eat my house if shared to decorate with me the house)lololol Anyway, we all had so much fun and Ryan was really frustrated : ) the last week telling me about the giant ginger bread house you made for them when they were children. I hope he doesn't trys to stole some candies from mine now!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't find my WS gingerbread house recipe. Does anyone have this to share with me?
Though my daughter is now 18 she's been making since 4 and can't have Christmas without it!

Thank you,

dra10583@gmail.com