Thursday, December 20, 2007

He came home to "Little Drummer Boy"

Today is David's birthday. He was born in 1979 and came home from the hospital in Bountiful, Utah inserted into a great big red stocking. As his father helped us both into the car, giant snowflakes began to fall. As we drove down the hill toward our house, the car radio played "Little Drummer Boy." It was magical to have a baby boy so near to Christmas when we celebrate the birth of another special baby boy. On a later trip to San Francisco, Glen and I found this drummer boy music box. This year, I will present it to David on his birthday for the enjoyment of he and his two little girls.


David's birthday has always been imbued into the celebration of Christmas. His birthday presents always had birthday paper as my attempt to somehow separate the two events. Christmas decorations and events often find their way into his birthday pictures. The above picture was taken at a Smith family Christmas party in Draper, Utah. Glen is holding a two year old David. Five generations are present in this picture. Melissa Fitzgerald Smith is seated in the wheel chair. Her daughter, June Smith Baker stands in the center of the group with her daughter, Elma Baker Jensen on her left. Glen is Elma's son. David's older brothers, Ryan and Eric stand at the bottom of the picture. All three of these grandmas are no longer with us.


When David was four he told me that he didn't want a cake. He would rather have a giant cookie, so I baked and decorated a giant chocolate chip cookie for his birthday. This boy of mine has grown into a wonderful young man and devoted husband and father. We will celebrate with family tonight and there will probably be Christmas decorations in the background, but I want him to know that his birthday will always be a special day for me as I remember his many birthdays.

2 comments:

Sally Jensen Interiors said...

Thanks for coming to the birthday party and for the little drummer boy. I really enjoyed reading this post.

j said...

I loved to read that. That's amzazing the way moms can remember each detail with pure love. I could travel by your words remembering my mom telling me about my birth. Sweet history yours!!!