Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A very special day for 85 years

There are no pictures from my parents' wedding. The pictures I do have of my parents as young adults are of my mother's days as a WAC and my dad's as a college student and missionary. Family pictures from their early marriage are of us kids only. So life was good when I discovered this picture of Alfred and Winnifred Ricks' extended family on a CD compiled for the Thomas E. Ricks family reunion four years ago (in Marjorie's file.) There are my young, beautiful parents in the upper right hand corner. I used to love playing in their clothes closet amongst their stylish clothes; wide, colorful ties, taffeta skirts, tailored suits and high heeled shoes. It's a mystery why they were so camera shy. My guess is that Velva was wearing a maternity top in this picture and that my little sister, Janis, is on the way. My brother Farrell and I occupy Velva and Gary's same positions in the front row. The date, 1954 or 1955.

These are the faces from my childhood. I grew up near Sugar City, Idaho surrounded by my great aunts and uncles, father's cousins and my second cousins. I knew that all of these people loved and cared for me. AND even more important, they loved and respected my mother who had married into the family. Their love and respect only grew as she had six children while being a farm wife, laboratory technician at the new hospital in Rexburg, and often times nurse to a husband prone to health related issues. When no longer able to farm due to those issues and now living in Arizona, she would drive her family to Idaho every summer for a visit. Most of the people in the picture above would be personally visited by Velva.

Mom has been gone for almost 10 years, but July 7th will be forever special to me. On that date 85 years ago a beautiful baby girl was born in a wood frame house on a hill with a view of the Grand Tetons on a stunning rolling farm in Eastern Idaho. She would grow to bless the lives of EVERYONE she met with her quiet, giving manner and her ability to love unconditionally. My discovery of a picture of my beautiful young mother is my gift to you on her birthday.

And, yes, that girl in the middle with glasses and an attitude was my least favorite baby sitter, Jane Davis. If we had been the same age I think I would have wanted to be her best friend. Doesn't she look interesting?

2 comments:

Susan said...

I love the photo and tribute to your mom. I wish I could have known her before the Ahlzheimer's. Just from the stories I've heard about her and from knowing her children, I can tell she was an amazing woman.

Vagabond Mother said...

There are so many people in that room, I love it.

It is so strange and almost mysterious about their lack of pictures. But romantic, you know, over my blaring over-shared, over-pictured life.

Happy Birthday, Grandma. You are one fine lady and I miss you.