Monday, June 19, 2017

Father's Day tribute to my Dad



I found this book at an estate sale for a dollar. It has been a slow but fascinating read about the Ricks Academy then junior college now BYU-Idaho that is part of my family history. It has also given me a new perspective of my father who has been gone for almost 40 years. Over and over I have recognized the names associated with Ricks who were friends of my father.

  
He attended college at the University of Idaho where he studied agriculture and eventually bought the family farm between Rexburg and Sugar City. He gave service as he visited and helped with the dairy operation at Ricks via his friendship with J. Wendall Stucki.
 

He gave service at the Sugar City Ward dairy farm where he was close friends with Marion Forsyth who had also been his advisor in FFA in high school.  
 

He traveled the back roads of Southeastern Idaho providing services to dairy farmers and sometimes I rode along in his red pickup truck on many of these visits. So I share just two of the names I knew, but there were many more and I realized that my father's life was a short one but a rich one full of good friends and service. Happy Father's Day Dad! It has been great to have this new perspective of your life!


Photos: book cover;  

FFA Club at Sugar Salem High School;  
newspaper article about FFA with Marion Forsyth facing my father Gary:
me and my dad;
great grandfather of my father, Thomas E. Ricks, also founder of Fremont later Ricks Academy.

No comments: