Friday, February 15, 2008

Day Fifteen

Now that you are done with the "14 Days of Love," perhaps I should share the history. This was not my original idea. We moved next door to Tina Ray in 1984 at 606 N. Windsor Circle. She taught a little class at homemaking meeting (now enrichment meeting) telling about her 14 days of love. The red papers are from that class, and everyone is welcome to look at them. I keep it in the "Valentine Drawer" of the cedar chest. She had many ideas, not just treats. Sometimes it's easier to just do treats. I found these red plastic heart boxes at Michael's. Each child had a box with their name on it. Often the treats came from Walgreen's when they went on sale in January. I took a branch from Tina's yard when they pruned some trees and painted it white with gesso. It stood up in a canning jar full of small rocks. I used a square piece of fabric and some ribbon to make a covering for the jar. It was as an Easter tree as well with different fabric and ribbon. I hung hearts on the tree to make a Valentine tree with the boxes underneath. I really enjoyed doing the "14 Days of Love." During my teaching years, Valentine's Day was my favorite holiday to celebrate with the children. It seemed so nice to see them sharing "the love." In the bottom of the boxes I wrote, "Always full of love" for the children to see after the treat was removed. Alas, the white tree met it's final demise at the hand of Matthew when he broke off all the branches. I always planned to make another, but never did. I hope that your families enjoyed their 14 days!

2 comments:

Susan said...

We all love this tradition. The kids were really disappointed when they realized they wouldn't be getting hearts tonight! Thanks for sharing the idea and its history.

Vagabond Mother said...

My "14 days" are a little ramshackle, maybe one of these years I'll get it in gear when my kids know what is going on. Ray gets something every other day and is very gracious. Yes, the days continue because I took some time off.

Thanks for writing about the history and taking pictures, Mom!